Here’s a guide on how to report the change of Korean name after receiving the approval letter issued by the court where you applied for a Korean name.
Acquiring Korean citizenship has many benefits as you can vote for local and national elections. Also, you can have the second most powerful passport in the world where you can travel without applying for a visa. Aside from that, there are many benefits for its citizen which is really lacking in other countries like the healthcare system, free public transportation for the elderly, and others.
In addition to that, changing your name in Korean is possible. I applied last January 4, 2021, and it was approved on March 31, 2021, then received the approval letter. The next step is I need to report it to the nearest district office within two weeks. There’s a penalty if not reported from the given time.
Guide on How to Report the Change of Name to Korean
Before going to the district office, make a copy of the letter that you received from the court since you need to submit the original letter, and do not forget to bring your ID.
1. Go to the nearest district office and go ahead at the 민원여권과 가족관계등록팀 (Passport and Family Relations Registration Team).
Tip! If you can’t find try checking for 통합민원실 or Integrated Civil Service Office.
2. If you changed your surname and first name you need to fill up the following form: 국적취득자의 성본 창설신고서 and 개명신고서.
Tip! If you can’t find the form 국적취득자의 성본 창설신고서 go to the 가족관계등록팀 window and tell you’ll be reporting your Korean name. If you went alone, don’t worry they will gonna help you signing up for your form since it’s a bit complicated.
3. Double check the details you wrote and gave the forms to the employee for registration.
4. Wait for a while and when you’re done you’ll be given a 신고 후 처리결과 확인 안내. The employee will explain the things you need to do when your 기본증며서(상세) and 주민등록초본 came out after one week.
5. After 5 days, you’ll receive a message from the district office that your new family registration has been processed. You must visit the Community center and apply for the Reissuance of the resident card.
My KIIP Citizenship Test Experience
How to Apply for Korean Naturalization?
How to Change Your Name into Korean Name
How to Apply for Korean Resident Registration Number
My First TOPIK II Experience
Did you like this post? Pin it.