Here’s a guide on how to make a tour reservation at Cheong Wa Dae or Blue House, the official residence of the President of South Korea.
If there’s one place that I would love to see and am curious about is South Korea’s presidential office – the Cheong Wa Dae [청와대] or Blue House. Taking a tour at Cheong Wa Dae is FREE but you can’t visit anytime you want. You need to make a reservation at least 3 weeks in advance. Also, you’ll be provided a Korean guide who will tour you around the Cheng Wa Dae and there’s a certain spot where you can take photos.
But after 74 years, the Presidential office and residence have been open to the public after the inauguration of South Korea’s new president.
How to Make a Tour Reservation at Cheong Wa Dae?
This is a guide on how to book or make a tour reservation at Cheong Wa Dae or Blue House which is very easy to do and won’t take a long time.
Book a Reservation
Application for viewing the Cheong Wa Dae or Blue House is available on a first-come, first-served basis, and once the reservation is complete, additional applications cannot be made until cancellation.
- Click the ‘blue button’ where you can select the type of reservation and available dates for viewing. The type of reservation has 3 categories: Individual (1-6 person), Group (20-50 person) and 65 years and older, disabled people, national veterans, and foreigners (1-6 person).
- After clicking the type of reservation and desired date of visit, it will show the application’s information including the date and time of reservation but you need to input the number of visitors (for example 4 people).
- After filling out the application, identity verification is needed that’s why a Korean phone number is a MUST. You need to put your name, phone number, and password.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click the Reservation for viewing button.
- You’ll receive a message confirmation when your application goes through. Aside from that, the reservation has a barcode that needs to be scanned upon entry so do not forget the password you entered when you applied for the reservation.
Reservations can be made by visiting: http://reserve.opencheongwadae.kr/ (Click the English translation if you don’t understand Korean)
The Day of Tour
If before you’ll be provided a Korean guide when you tour the Cheong Wa Dae this time is different. You are allowed to walk freely and choose the tour course that you want. Although, when we visit we just followed the lines and visit accordingly to the map.
Before entering, we showed our reservation and scan the bar code. The first building we saw was the Yeongbingwan (State Guest House), then the Main Office, and the Hanok House (official residence). We also passed the Nokjiwon Garden where different tree species were planted by the previous presidents of South Korea.
After touring around, we leave the Blue House from the gate going through the Gyeongbokgung Palace.
Some precautions upon reservation
- For families with multiple children: Even if the number of applicants exceeds the number of applicants (6 people), if you show your family relationship certificate or resident registration certificate, you can enter without limit.
- The Blue House ticket cannot be transferred to a third party or sold for a fee, and ID verification may be requested on-site if necessary.
- Reservations for viewing are available for 4 weeks from the following week from the date of application and are updated every Sunday at 00:00.
- Wheelchairs and strollers are provided
- Restrooms are also available
- Need to wear foot socks at Yeongbingwan and Cheong Wa Dae when you enter
- Bring your own water
- Wear comfortable shoes
- There are chairs available where you can rest from time to time
- Do not enter or step on the grass
Did you like this post? Pin it.